A few weekends ago we went camping in Flagstaff.
B-E-A-uuuuuuutiful!
Technically we camped in Sunset Crater, which is just north of Flagstaff, but Im sure you'll forgive my generalities :)
We spent Saturday grillin and drinkin some beers.
![]() |
| Our campsite. 360 degrees of beauty. |
| The ground is black volcanic rock/ash. I love the contrast of colors. |
Then Sunday we woke up bright and early (when some rogue quad riders accidently "got lost" in our campsite), so we headed on over to the lava tubes to go cave exploring.
Yes.
Cave exploring.
You see, I had asked around for suggestions of things to do in Flagstaff and Diana recommended a handful of lovely trails. After reading their descriptions, I started to give the boys a synopsis of each but as soon as they heard "this one goes into a cave" they tuned out.
They were sold. It really was the only option for this weekend.
| "Have gun will travel reads the card of a man...." |
| The entrance to the cave. |
| Yep, see him crawling into it? |
| Making the descent. |
| If you look closely, you can see the boys at the bottom. Red sweatshirt and flashlight waaaaaay down there. |
| Last glimpse of sunlight. |
| Inside the cave - giving a geology lesson? |
Such a great adventure and a fun start to that Sunday!
(Thanks again, Diana!)

4 comments:
Looks like a beautiful day! I might have been a little scared of the dark...
whaaaatttt!? i want to go cave exploring!!!
We go camping here at least once a year!! Love it :)
This trail has been on our list of hikes for awhile, I need to make it happen. Seems super cool.
You are ridiculously brave; I'm to afraid of what is already IN the cave to go inside. Maybe a few beers would do the trick though...
Post a Comment