Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sushi Bowl!


I'm a huge fan of fushi (aka vegetarian sushi = faux sushi = fushi),
yet I can't justify "going to sushi" every night.
And while I have a sushi making kit at home, 
I'm lazy and would like the flavor with out the mess/commitment.  

Enter Robin's Sushi Bowl
You may read this and think "well... duh." 
But, it only dawned on me a few months ago, so I'm sharing :)

It's not so much of a recipe, as an idea
to take the sushi ingredients that you love, and put them in bowl form. 

Portion control does not photograph well. Next time, I will choose a smaller bowl. 



  Ingredients (this time around)

  • Rice - I used Seeds of Change Organic Quinoa and Brown Rice. I LOVE these rice packets. Throw them in the microwave for 90 seconds and you have perfect rice. I am oddly awful at cooking rice, I even have a rice cooker and always mess it up some how. 
  • Seaweed snack
  • Edamame 
  • Low Sodium Soy Sauce 
Other nights I've thrown in some avocado and/or cucumber... but you could also throw in some tofu, teriyaki chicken, shrimp, crab, fish, carrots, cabbage...basically anything sushi-esque. I think the main trick to making this dish reminiscent of sushi is the seaweed. It takes it from being a rice bowl to a sushi bowl.  
Taa daaa! Magic!

Speaking of sushi... I am super excited to be meeting up with the ladies from the AZ Bloggers Network this Sunday for a sushi date. Can't wait to hang out with the ladies I met a few weeks ago as well as meet some new people.

Have you ever made a sushi bowl before? 
Do you have any other at-home-sushi tips for people like me (aka lazy)?

6 comments:

Oliviaaa said...

this sounds all kinds of fantastic. minus it NOT having any sea creatures to nom on :) definitely adding it to my list to try!

Emily said...

This sounds awesome. I have sushi kits at home too - still in the wrapper. Also, frozen brown rice from Trader Joe's changed my life. I'll have to check these out too!

Can't wait to see you on Sunday for some sushi!!

Ari @ Ari's Menu said...

Yummm! I love sushi, and I can't wait to get to see you again on Sunday!

Mrs Galvan said...

I love the idea of a sushi bowl! I had never even thought of it! Woohoo! Excited to do this:D

www.mykitchenisopen.wordpress.com

bonbon said...

I never have quite caught on to the whole sushi craze. Maybe somebody like you who has an affinity for it could make me love it. We do have a place in town that offers half off sushi after 9:00- my friends go almost every night. I couldn't help but think you would love it!

new follower :)
bonnie
bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

bonbon said...

I never have quite caught on to the whole sushi craze. Maybe somebody like you who has an affinity for it could make me love it. We do have a place in town that offers half off sushi after 9:00- my friends go almost every night. I couldn't help but think you would love it!

new follower :)
bonnie
bonnielouisa.blogspot.com